Dear Co-Pilot Dad,
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! In the spirit of the holiday of love, our wonderful Monday Listicles’ host, Stasha, has suggested we write about 10 “Oh, no you didn’t!” Gifts to Avoid for Valentine’s Day.
I know we are more the cherish-our–love-all-year-round sort, so we aren’t really big into this holiday. But, just in case you were inspired to give me a little somethin’-somethin’ – you might want to steer clear of the following:
1. DVDs of crime dramas or other disturbing entertainment. It won’t make me want to cuddle – it will make me lay awake afraid of every random noise while you are snoring away.
2. Clothing – I love you, but you have a terrible track record for buying clothes for me. Although I am somewhat flattered that I seem to be much thinner in your vision of me, when I try on clothes that don’t fit, I feel defeated and depressed. Clothing is a trap - a trap, I say!
3. A vacuum – You gave me one for Christmas a few years ago – and it was *great*, honey. Useful as they are, I am good for vacuums.
4. Tools – If we need them for a project, we’ll get them then.
5. Iron – I know you might think that our iron isn’t working because it hasn’t left the shelf in several years. But I assure you, it still works. I just found something that is a far-better wrinkle remover.
6. Video games – I know that they always say to give something that you would like to receive, but in this case… not so much.
7.On-the-go stain remover – I *so* appreciated this little stocking stuffer last year – but it sort of reminds me that I tend to dribble things on my clothes. My tendency to stain clothing is one of those quirky things you love about me, right? Right?
8. Bandages – I know I am clumsy, and I *love* that you want to make my boo boos better. And they are very practical for me to have around. But, *reminding* me that I am clumsy is not romantic. (Besides, I still have some of the ones you gave me at Christmas.)
9. Plants – I know you are not a flower-giver, but resist the urge to give me a plant. I am barely keeping the ones that we already have alive, as it is.
10. Hair colour or other beauty treatments – Unless it is a gift card to a swanky salon, best to leave anything related to hair to me. I have heard that it is good to keep a sense of mystery about these things.
So, there is a little list of things to avoid if you are considering gifts of Valentine’s Day. All you have to remember are three words: books, coffee or chocolate. Any of those – on their own or in combination – and my heart is yours. (Although, really, it is already!)
Tell me friends: What gifts would be your favourite (or not) at Valentine’s?
Linking up with Monday Listicles today