I believe in true love.
And what I have with biscuits? It is true love, my friends.
As in, I could probably write a blog devoted to biscuits and how awesome they are. Because, sweet or savoury, crumbly or flaky – biscuits are just YUM.
This was the first biscuit recipe I ever made on my own. This little baby has been in my back pocket for years and came to me courtesy of my mother-in-law.
Behold the quick and easy drop biscuits:
I love this recipe because you can easily add herbs, seasonings or cheese and make it savoury!
Even better? It is quick to mix up, quick to bake and there is no flouring, rolling or cutting required.
You just drop them on the pan.
Then you bake them. I mean, easy or what?
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar
- Add 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 cup milk, set aside
- Blend flour and cold butter or margarine with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles course crumbs
- Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix
- Gradually add milk and vinegar mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Drop onto greased baking sheet by heaping tablespoon-sized amounts.
- Bake in 425 degree oven 13-15 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- other herbs and seasonings of your choice!
Do you have a love affair with the biscuit? What is your favourite way to enjoy them?