One of my favourite ways to change-up family pizza night is to take all that yummy pizza goodness and roll it up into pizza rolls.
Yes, Pizza Rolls.
Pizza Rolls are portable, like a slice of pizza, but there is a fun element. I mean, who could resist unrolling their pizza roll like they do a cinnamon roll? (Not that I play with my food. Never.)
The recipe is simple: the same ingredients and method as homemade pizza rolled into a log, sprinkled with more cheese, and baked in a pan.
I squeezed all the rolls into a 13X9 baking dish, but you can spread them out on a cookie sheet as well, so they are easier to break apart. (Like I did for these yummy BBQ Cheeseburger Rolls.)
I used my trusty Super Fast Pizza Crust recipe for the dough, but you could use refrigerated pizza crust, too. My dough recipe is super-soft and fluffy, so you really should check it out. And, fair warning: you may have different results with other dough.
I prepared the dough and rolled it out on a floured surface, making roughly a rectangle shape, until it was about 1/4 inch thickness. Then, I spread the sauce and toppings (I used a meat lovers variety) and topped it with cheese. (Don’t forget to reserve some cheese for the top!)
I popped them in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, until the dough was golden and the toppings bubbly.
They puffed up and looked like a pan of bready, pizza deliciousness.
Because they are so close together, I sliced them with a knife rather than try to pull them apart.
Although, I couldn’t resist pulling them apart a little.
Definitely didn’t play with my food, though.
But my kids did.
They love these and ask for me to make them so they can bring them in their lunches. We always have enough leftovers. Pizza Rolls keep in the fridge in a sealed container for a few days – but they won’t last that long.
- Prepared pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (approximately, according to taste)
- Your favourite pizza toppings
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella
- Roll pizza dough out on a floured surface
- Spread sauce and sprinkle toppings, and half of the grated mozzarella
- Starting at the bottom, carefully roll up the dough, forming a large log
- Slice the dough into 1 inch rolls, then place on a baking sheet or a 13X9 pan
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, or until dough is golden and toppings are bubbling