Dear Readers: There is an updated version of this post here that contains bright new photos taken with my new camera. It also features the correct spelling of the word STREUSEL. Even though spelling errors make me twitch, I left this post because I didn’t want to remove it in consideration of those that had pinned it. Because no matter which way you spell it, apple streusel muffins are delicious.
How do you beat the ho-hum and banish the blues? Well, there are lots of ways to do that, come to think of it. But one of the tastiest ways? Three words:
Apple Struesel Muffins
This is a recipe that I have had floating around in my recipe binder for ages – since BP. (That’s Before Pinterest.) I found it online and didn’t make note of the site – but I have changed it a bit over the years. It seemed a little too dry to me, so I added milk and I upped the cinnamon in the struesel. Because cinnamon is delicious.
This time I also substituted the white sugar for sucralose for the muffin mixture. David is at high risk for diabetes so we are always looking for ways to reduce sugar in our baking. The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, but I substituted 3/4 cup sucralose because I find it sweeter than sugar. I also find it alters the texture of recipes so I tend to use less than the amount of sugar recommended in the recipe.
I haven’t made it in ages and was reminded of it last night when Captain Bravo asked if I would make apple cookies with the large bag of apples we have on the counter. I wasn’t sure about making apple cookies (Have you ever made them? Were they good?) but once this recipe popped into my head I just *had* to make it.
It is quick and easy and yes, so very tasty.
Bonus: your house will smell so good – thanks to the yummy struesel topping.
I used to whip these up on Sunday morning – they sort of scream weekend morning to me for some reason. But I made them on a Friday morning and they were as good as I remembered them so they are probably good any day of the week, day or night.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup sucralose)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apple (I used 1 1/2 medium apples)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease muffin pan or use muffin cups.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in eggs, then add milk and vanilla and mix. Add chopped apple.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and combine just until mixed.
- To make the struesel, combine brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan and sprinkle with struesel topping.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let stand in pan for 5 minutes and then move to baking rack to cool.
Captain Alpha gobbled his up and asked for a second right away.
And me? I might have had a second one too. After all, the one straight-out-of-the-oven is a tester and therefore does not count, right? Right?
I bet they will be great with a coffee later, too.
What is your favourite kind of muffin? Also apple cookies – yay or nay?